Monday, March 17, 2008

LAST NIGHT I HAD THE STRANGEST DREAM

Ok, it was actually 2 nights ago. And it has nothing to do with an 80s song.

Oy.

I dreamt I was in the early stages of labour. But here's the oddest part about the dream: it felt real. So real that I was feeling pain very vividly. So real that when I would wake up to go to the bathroom (as I did 4 or 5 times that night) I would question whether it was a dream at all, or that perhaps I was actually going into labour. And so real that I actually went back to the dream each time I lay down again.

Each time I awoke I kept thinking about what my doula told me about early labour in the middle of the night: try to stay in bed with the lights out and get as much rest as possible because I will need it in the day that follows. So that's what I did: I returned from the bathroom, tried my best to stay calm (did not wake up my husband, I wanted him to get as much sleep as possible), and lay back down to sleep (only to continue the dream.)

In the morning I felt nothing.

Now. I have no experience with labour as we all know. I don't know what it will feel like, and that certainly scares the shit out of me. Tell me: How can I have dreamt of this so vividly? Is it at all possible that I was experiencing some (very) early contractions or false labour pains?

Whatever it was, it certainly was a mindfuck.

Because: I'm ready to have this child. Physically at least. (Mentally, even after 2 years and 8 months I don't think that I am prepared. A subject for another post entirely. One that I likely will never get to.)

People: I am no longer comfortable. I am so often told that I look "small", and am carrying so well. But I do not feel like it any more! I have enough heartburn to light my house on fire (though thankfully I am managing that with rolaids.) I get winded when doing work that requires me to stand. (And I still have al ot of work to take care of.)

Unfortunately last Thursday's OB appointment revealed that my cervix is still wonderfully high and closed. Not such great news seeing as my due date is 3 days from now. Can't something happen already?

I am so so very thankful. I am. I cannot say that enough. But you know what? It's time to move forward here, little guy!

And so I wait for yet another dream (quite literally) to come true.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow...the power of the mind, eh?!
well, i for one am also ready for you to have this little guy...enough waiting already!!!

sending love...
peace
shlomit

Lollipop Goldstein said...

That's so weird when the dream feels so real. Sending a message to the little man--come out of there already!

Anonymous said...

He will be here before you know it! I can hardly wait!

Shauna said...

Something like that happened to me. I am still rather positive that I did have a couple of contractions that night but nothing came of it.

On time or late, that baby will be here so soon! I hope that you are devising a way to let us know!!!!

Kate said...

Maybe it means you are very close! :)

Erin said...

He will be here soon, you can count on that. Unfortunately, even if you'd been 3 cm dilated at the OB appointment, it still wouldn't mean anything in terms of when he would be here. I have had several students who have had cervix high, closed, and posterior at an appointment in the morning--and had baby in arms before nightfall.

It could very well have been real contractions--your body sort of "trying them on" when it wasn't focused on other things.

You're in my thoughts and I can't wait to hear about your son's birth!

Geohde said...

It won't be far off...surely? :)

J

Angie said...

Looking forward to hearing about your little guy! He'll be here soon!

Aurelia said...

Well, because you are asking I'll just say that my early contractions felt like painful period cramps.

As they progressed they started to feel like painful period cramps combined with situps where I really was using my stomach muscles. so who knows? Maybe your dream was coming true?

Ms. Perky said...

I am so excited for you!