Friday, May 04, 2007

IUI REPORT

This is my busiest time of year. I have clients hounding me left right and centre for their finished work. I work alone, so I have no one to delegate to. Couple that with my back that I wrenched last week which resulted in 3 days of incapacitaton, and an upcoming jaunt to San Francisco for my cousin's Bar Mitzvah in 2 weeks, and I feel like I'm a little up shit creek without a paddle.

Right, so that's why it's taken me so long to post about Monday's IUI.

Everything really went swimingly- once we got there.

The C dropped me off because there was no immediate parking. 20 minutes later he STILL hadn't found parking (therefore we were late for our appointment). I stood in the lobby with tears streaming down my face- like I wasn't stressed enough already! On what would be his last circle around the area I saw himm, jumped in the car and commanded him to urn the corner and park illegally- we have already spent countless thousands, we could deal with a $42.00 parking ticket.

By the time we got up to the clinic my freakout had ended and my eyes were alomst dry. (My brain was working irrationally- we can't even park properly- no wonder we can't get pregnant!) The nurse led us to "the room" (maybe someday I will describe the man's room at this clinic, it always makes me laugh) and we got right down to business. This was the easiest experience we have had so far with the cup (thank god, because we were late). The C said he was really turned on because he was thinking how this sperm would be the one to make a baby. Not soft music and wine on a romantic night, but close enough!

We headed to Star.bucks for an hour (and reparked the car.) When we returned the sperm was ready. First we had our lesson with the embryologist as she showed us the sperm under a microscope before it was washed, as well as after. The difference is unbelievable. She told us that The C had a very high volume of semen, so when concentrated we had as many as 200 million sperm to inseminate with.

Off we went to a "secret chamber" (a room behind the regular u/s room that I didn't even know existed) to prepare for the IUI. Overall the procedure was quick and painless (except for the speculum- UGH!) and the nurse talked us through the entire procedure (remember that my doctor doesn't have a voice!). The C was really interested in what was going on (hey this could be our conception story) and at one point he got up and had a look at my cervix. I was pretty relaxed, and felt good. I lay on the table for 20 minutes after the IUI, and then got dressed and went home.

That's it that's all. It was exciting, and now that it's done I know it's certainly nothing to be nervous about. I think the nerves come mostly from not being able to know the outcome for another 2 weeks.

Today is 4 dpo (if the day of insemination is day 0-correct me if I'm wrong, please!), so of course I have no sympotoms. Just the usual sore nipples that are come packaged with my hCG shot. Really, there is no reason to think that this IUI won't work- 2 follilces, lots of sperm, cosmic alignement... unless there is something else wrong with us. For now I'm choosing to remain positive.

22 comments:

decemberbaby said...

Sounds fabulous to me... especially the number of sperm!

And I agree with you, the speculum is the worst part of the whole IUI deal.

carrie said...

Holy moly, that's a lot of sperm. Wishing you good, good thoughts.

megan said...

sounds like everything was in the right place at the right time! best of luck!

Mary Ellen and Steve said...

Sounds great! I hope that you have great news for us in a couple of weeks!

Unknown said...

Good luck, ms. c!

Princess Barren said...

Sending tons and tons of good luck to you!!

Krista said...

Good luck, I am hoping this is it!

Esperanza said...

Yes....yes...remain positive! That is a heck of lot of sperm...got to be a good sign! Wishing you many good hopes!

Anonymous said...

Take a deep breath...sorry things are so crazy right now!
Glad all went well...i can relate about the melt down as i had my own at my first iui (http://yourestillyoung.blogspot.com/2006/10/iuiand-you-are.html)...i'm glad you're being positive...i hope this is your first and your last...although i have to say that if you don't (PUH, PUH, PUH) get pregnant this time it DOESN'T MEAN that there is anything else wrong with you!!!!

thinking of you always my friend...
shabbat shalom to you and the c...
peace and love,
shlomit

Erin said...

Lots of luck! Perhaps someday, you and the C will be reminiscing about how he looked at your cervix while your baby was conceived ;-)

Shauna said...

Sounds like things went really well. I hope that you'll be a first time is a charm person.

I think that's way cool that they showed you the sperm before and after. We got nothing like that.

Everything is crossed for you.

Ann said...

From some of the stories I've heard recently, your IUI sounds like an absolute cinch. So, for the next two weeks, just relax...just kidding, I would never tell any IF-er to "just relax!"

Anonymous said...

Exciting and scary all at once! Good luck :)

X Artblog

Watson said...

Sounds great, in spite of the rough start!

GOOD LUCK!!!

Unknown said...

I am crossing my fingers for you!

Nico said...

Meltdown totally understandable.

Very cool that you got to see the sperm!

Natalie said...

Wow, sounds great! That's a lot of sperm!

I'm amazed that mr. c looked at your cervix. My hubby pointedly moved to my head so he wouldn't have to see anything. Weird. lol

Anonymous said...

Crossing thing for you that this is the only IUI you will need.

Ms. Perky said...

yes, insemination day was day 0, you are correct.

My first IUI was horrible. My husband was a jerk. When he came back from "the room" (he wanted NOTHING to do with me being in there with him), he acted all put out like he'd just had the most horrible experience of his life. And I lost it. I stormed out, called a close friend, and burst into tears. I sat in my car crying for half an hour until my husband figured out I wasn't coming back in. I actually had no intention of going back in for the IUI (for which I had another half an hour to wait at that point) and he came out to apologize. All in all, the IUI went fine, with perfect follicles, perfect sperm analysis, etc. It didn't work, but I learned my lesson about being overly sensitive on IUI day.

I do hope this cycle works for you. But I will suggest that IF it doesn't... don't assume that means something else is wrong. Any given IUI cycle, I should say any given PERFECT IUI cycle, has about 20% odds of working. So if it doesn't work (and I hope it does!!!) it does NOT mean something else is wrong.

Samantha said...

Good luck and glad things went well, once the car was parked!

In Search of Morning Sickness said...

I really hope this works, it sure does sound like a terrific number of follicles and sperm count!!!
I found your parking problem to be annoying (for you) and yet funny at your very sensible comment on dealing with the $42 parking ticket after everything you'd already spent! Good perspective! I ALWAYS have trouble parking for appointments, except for my IUI's I have to report in at 6:00am, so no trouble there! I did once encounter locked doors and did a freak out and RUN around the basement trying to get un-lost(with the sperm sample holding on for dear life). Someday we'll laugh about all this???? :)

Angie said...

That's a lot of sperm! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!