Friday, March 02, 2007

GOOD OL' FASHIONED SHABBOS DINNER

A few weeks ago I attended the aufruf of a friend of the family who is getting married in 2 weeks. I am not an avid Shul goer, especially since we left behind the most amazing congregation when we moved to Montreal. But as the only representatvie from my family (my parents were away, my husband had to work, my brother was fetching his kids for their weekend visit) I felt obligated. (More obligated than I feel on Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippurp-those are times I go to Shul for myself, not because I am someone invited me to attend with them.) You can imagine that I was less than thrilled (I don't know this shul, there won't be anyone I can sit with, no one to pass me candies when boredom strikes....), but I donned my skirt, heels and smile and went.

Revelation of my lifetime: I enjoyed the service.

And it wouldn't bother me to return. In fact, it was a wonderful introspective way to spend 4 hours of a Saturday morning smack dab in the midst of my 2ww. I didn't have anyone to giggle with. I don't wear a watch so I wasn't constantly checking the time. I followed the service, reading along in Hebrew. I was engrossed in the Rabbi's sermon. And to my surprise, found much pleasure in the entire experience.

Towards the end I was remembering the wonderful Shabbat dinners that The C and I (and Shlomit!!) used to share in our miniature apartment in Toronto. The we would head off for Services and have a wonderful night together. I thought about how much I miss those times because, although The C and I are not very observant Jews, this was the moment in our week where everything else ceased to be important. What was significant was that we were together, as a family (which included Shlomit), and later at services, as part of a community.

I left Shul vowing to make Shabbat important in our lives again. (Important for us. Everyone's definition is different.) I would find my candlesticks that are still in their box from our move two years ago. I would make the trek to the bakery for some delicious challah. (Mel and Sarah, your industriousness inspires me, one day maybe you can teach me to make my own challah.) And I would recreate our old-time dinner (minus Shlomit, but perhaps plus some other family members.) I felt good and I was excited.

My mother beat me to the punch and instead invited us to her house for Shabbat dinner tonight. (Homemade chicken soup and all-I just can't wait!) Since my idea of me making Shabbat willhave to be put off for another two weeks (we will be in Vegas next week), I thought I would share with you:

Ms. C's Old Fashioned Shabbos ('cuz that's how the family from the Old Country pronounce it) Dinner.

Menu
Grilled Salmon (recipe to follow)
Raosted Asparagus
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Red Wine (because you can't bench over white wine, right Shlomit!)
Ice Cream and Fruit
And something chocolate for good measure

Teriyaki Salmon
6 salmon fillets
2 tbsp teriyaki sauce
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp brown sugar or honey
1 tsp minced ginger
1 clove garlic
1/2 tsp dijon mustard

Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl and then pour over salmon to marinate. Sometimes I marinate for 30 minutes becasue that's all I have. Sometimes I am organized and marinate overnight.

The salmon is best grilled on the bbq (our favorite method), but can also be cooked in the microwave (8-9 minutes on high, flipping pieces halfway through), or in the oven in a pyrex (Bake at 400F for about 10 minutes).

Serve salmon with asparagus (we toss it with olive oil, salt, pepper and a fresh herb and throw it on the bbq, but it can also be steamed or roasted in the oven), and melt-in-your-mouth sweet potatoes (done in the microwave or in the oven).

Sit with friends and family and enjoy.

Shabbat Shalom to everyone.

(What? You weren't actaully expecting something traditional from me, were you??!!)

(And at the risk of making you fall off your chair by not once mentioning IF in a post, allow me to say this: I can't wait for the day that The C and I can have our dinner with our children.)

10 comments:

Unknown said...

That meal sounds delicious! I printed it out and will be making it this weekend (seriously).

Shabbat Shalom, ms. c.

Samantha said...

Sounds very tasty! As another great way to cook the sweet potatoes, you can roast them on the grill, if you're cooking the salmon that way too. Just coat the skins with a little olive oil and place on the grill, turning occasionally. They usually take me about 30-45 minutes.

Shabbot Shalom!

Lollipop Goldstein said...

I would love to teach you how to make a challah (mine is currently in the oven!). Do you want me to email the recipe I use?

Shabbat Shalom!

TeamWinks said...

Glad you had a great time! I love when you and Mel blog about your traditions. It makes me smile and appreciate all of our uniqueness!

:-)

Becky

Anonymous said...

okay. now i'm all fahrklempt.
you've brought me back to some GREAT ol' days!
i too miss those times like crazy. in fact i hooked up with sara (of course you'll get pregnant) yesterday and spoke of my own resolve to bring shabbat back to my life in a more meaningful way...

oh, and i miss the salmon, too!
ps...i had white wine last night?! what a shanda! lol!

shabbat shalom and purim sameach my friend, i can't wait to celebrate shabbat with you and your children!

peace
shlomit

Erin said...

Mmmm, that sounds wonderful. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your shul. I have found such a wonderful community in mine, and it really helps me feel a lot less alone when it comes time for holidays and Shabbat. Tonight, for example, we'll go to shul for Purim and I know we'll see friends and join them, and have a good time. It can be such a comfort.

Shabbat Shalom!

decemberbaby said...

Sounds wonderful - doesn't it feel good to go back to shul after a long hiatus?

I'll gladly teach you the secrets of challah. When are you coming to TO for your private baking class?

Ms. Perky said...

I'll be happy to pass on my challah recipe if you'd like it. It's quite simple, really. I don't make it every week anymore... but I make it every several weeks and freeze.

(and you CAN use white wine for Kiddush, though some have the minhag to only use red)

My husband and I are fairly observant but weren't always. The one thing that we've done from the start, however, is to set aside Shabbos in some way. It's really a blessing to know that the rest of the craziness in our lives is on hold one day a week.

Princess Barren said...

Hey Ms. C,
Thanks for stopping by my blog! We have yet to do an IUI as well...although I'm not sure how much longer that statement is going to be true.

Vegas sounds like it'll be a blast...maybe your body needs some drunken debauchery pre-bebe?

Shabbat Shalom!

Demeter said...

Hi Ms. C., I found your blog through Sarah. I find that now that I have my daughter I too would love to bring those traditions back to my life, they are more meaningful with family. I hope you enjoy Vegas and it brings you luck to prepare for baby time!